I am so excited to share this cool trick with you today! I’ll admit it, I like to buy the good stuff when I buy makeup, and it is beyond frustrating when one of my kids (okay, or me) knocks down one of my MAC eye shadows, powders or blushes and it breaks into 10 million little tiny crumbles all over the counter. I can’t tell you how many times this has happened to me, and as much as I want to salvage it, it’s such a big mess, so I end up throwing it all away, and throwing away my money in the process.
Not anymore! Using just one ingredient you probably already have at home, you can easily repair your broken powder makeup, and have it back to normal the next morning. Life changing! Andit takes less than five minutes to do (although it does take overnight to dry). Let’s begin!
Here’s all you’ll need:
- Broken powder makeup (powder, eyeshadow or blush)
- Rubbing alcohol (the higher the concentration, the better – I used 70)
- Plastic wrap (optional, but keeps your fingers cleaner)
1. Gather all of the broken pieces of makeup into its original container and crush up all the makeup (even the parts that may not have broken).
2. Add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to the compact and let it soak in. Use your finger, the back of a spoon or anything, really, to rub and smooth down the makeup. I used my finger (which is still stained bright pink after about 10 hand washes!) at first, but I found that I got better results by placing a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the makeup and then rubbing the plastic wrap to smooth out the makeup. If the mixture is still too dry, then add a little more alcohol and rub again.
3. Once your makeup is all smooth again, all you have to do is wait, preferably overnight. The alcohol has to dry out, and once it does your makeup will be totally back to normal and the alcohol smell will be gone. My blush was perfect the next day, and you never would have guessed that it was a crumbled mess the day before.
My sad, crushed pink blush that would have gotten tossed because I (can’t blame the kids this time) dropped it is now whole and complete and ready to be used again. Yippee!
This is probably my favorite tip of all time, because everyone drops their makeup, right?