A $10 recycling fee per unit will be charged for items with screens, such as televisions, laptop computers and monitors (recycling at California stores and any Best Buy-branded products will not incur this fee). Although there is a small charge, recyclers will instantly receive a $10 Best Buy gift card in exchange for the recycling fee.
Through Greener Together, Best Buy is looking to expand its earth-friendly initiatives to not only include recycling, but supply chain management and waste reduction. The company is working together with employees, manufacturers and partners to reduce its carbon footprint, while providing consumers with an increasing number of energy-efficient and recyclable options, from components to packaging.
Starting Feb. 15, you can recycle up to two units per day, per household, at any U.S. Best Buy store. Most electronics are accepted, including:
Televisions and monitors up to 32”
- Computer CPUs and notebooks
- Small electronics
- VCR and DVD players
- Accessories, such as keyboards, mice and remotes
Some consumer electronics aren’t accepted through the Best Buy program. Some of these include:
- Televisions or monitor screens greater than 32”
- Console televisions
- Items containing Freon, including air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and mini-refrigerators (according to Best Buy, local, municipal recycling options are best for these products)
- Other appliances
Recycling kiosks at the front of every store will make it easy for you to recycle smaller items at no cost, like ink cartridges, rechargeable batteries, cell phones, CDs, DVDs, and PDA/smart phones.
If you have large appliances that are difficult to recycle, or are not accepted in stores, Best Buy provides alternate programs:
- Appliance and television haul-away: Best Buy will remove an old or obsolete appliance or television free of charge from a consumers’ home when a new product is purchased and delivered by Best Buy Home Delivery or Geek Squad Home Theater Installation Service.
- Appliance and television pick-up: For $100, Best Buy will arrange a home visit to remove up to two appliance units and/or televisions for recycling, with $20 for each additional unit.
- Tech Trade-In: Check out Best Buy’s Trade-in site to trade in various, gently used electronics for a Best Buy gift card.
The program will expand sometime in fiscal 2010 to Puerto Rico stores.